I’m not going to lie; I adore Brussels Sprouts. My favourite way to eat them is a big bowl of new season sprouts, steamed and served with butter and salt. Perfect.
However, I totally understand that not everyone feels that way about these delicious little flavour bombs.
This casserole wraps your sprouts in a gentle blanket of creamy, cheesy goodness and is finished off with crispy, crunchy pancetta pieces. Sounds like the perfect low-carb side for this year’s Thanksgiving table!
Keep a container of the crisped up pancetta or bacon in the fridge for sprinkling over eggs, avocados or on salads. Enjoy!
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs8.2 grams
Calories from carbs 10%, protein 17%, fat 73%
Total carbs13.4 gramsFiber5.1 gramsSugars3.9 gramsSaturated fat14.8 gramsSodium627 mg(27% RDA)Magnesium40 mg(10% RDA)Potassium582 mg(29% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 kg fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (1.76 lb)
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter (30 ml)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese such as Gruyere or similar melty cheese (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (57 g/ 2 oz)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 slices of pancetta or bacon, crisped and crumbled (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh parsley, to taste
- To crisp your pancetta, lay the strips out on an oven rack and cook at 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted), or 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional), for 10 minutes until crispy. They will crisp further as they cool, so don’t overcook them.
- Reduce the heat to 190 °C/ 375 °F (fan assisted), or 210 °C/ 410 °F (conventional).
- In a saucepan, place the cream, cream cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the ghee in an oven safe skillet and add the Brussels Sprouts and garlic. Sauté until the sprouts are tender but not soft.
- Add the cream mixture and toss to combine. Add half of the pancetta and stir through the casserole.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes, until the cheese has browned and the sprouts are softened.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with remaining pancetta and optionally fresh herbs to taste.
- Store in the fridge, in a covered container, up to four days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Brussels sprouts, fresh|
|6.9 g||4.5 g||0.4 g||57 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||5 g||45 kcal|
|Cream, heavy whipping, pouring, full-fat (30-40% fat)|
|0.5 g||0.4 g||7.6 g||73 kcal|
|Cheese, Swiss , Gruyère|
|0 g||3 g||3.2 g||41 kcal|
|0.3 g||2.2 g||3.1 g||38 kcal|
|Cream cheese, soft (full-fat)|
|0.3 g||0.7 g||2.8 g||25 kcal|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Pancetta (Italian bacon)|
|0 g||2.7 g||4.2 g||49 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|8.2 g||13.5 g||26.3 g||329 kcal|
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!